Modoru is a plugin that allows the PS Vita to downgrade to the lowest factory firmware version. This guide will show users how to downgrade their Vita to a lower official firmware. It is recommended to downgrade to firmware 3.60 because it is easier to install ENSO on 3.60. However, PS Vita that are fairly brand new may not be able to downgrade below 3.67. After downgrading, you will need to hack your Vita again.
Files and Programs Needed
VitaShell: GitHub Link
Modoru: GitHub Link
3.60 Official Firmware: MediaFire Link
3.65 Official Firmware: GitHub Link
3.67 Official Firmware: MediaFire Link
3.68 Official Firmware: MediaFire Link
Make sure you Enable Unsafe Homebrew in HENkaku Settings.
- Download Modoru and the firmware of your choosing.
- Note: Not all Vita can be downgraded to 3.60 or 3.65. If your Vita was created in 2018 or beyond start with 3.65.
- Back on your Vita, launch Vitashell, press Start and change “SELECT button” to USB.
- Press O to cancel main settings and then press select to connect your Vita to your PC.
- Transfer the files into any folder that just popped up (I created a folder called VPK).
- Once the files are done transferring, press X on the modoru.vpk file to install it.
- Press X twice to confirm Yes for both pop ups.
- Highlight PSP2UPDAT.PUP and press Triangle and then Copy.
- Press O to go back and then to ux0:app/MODORU000.
- While in ux0:app/MODORU000, highlight the .. then press Triangle and then Paste.
- You have to disable all your plugins in order to use Modoru.
- To do so:
- If you have not installed any other plugins or hacks, you can delete the tai folder.
- If you have some hacks/apps that you installed and would like to transfer over after the downgrade:
- rename the Tai folder to anything other than Tai (I named it “T” in my example.)
- In my setup, my tai folder is in ur0.
- If you have a tai folder in ux0, rename/delete the ux0:tai instead.
This step is not necessary if you are not using a memory card.
- Go out to the Home screen/Settings/Henkaku Settings.
- Click on the UnLink Memory Card.
- Click on the Reboot Device.
- Once on, the Vita should update the database and then return to the home screen.
- Go to H-Encore/Trinity and then Install HENkaku.
- Press X on Exit.
Step 8: Enable Unsafe Homebrew.
- Go to Settings/HENkaku Settings and press X on “Enable Unsafe Homebrew.”
- Scroll down to the Modoru icon and press X to launch it.
- Press X to confirm and wait 20 seconds.
- Press X to accept the terms and begin the installation.
Note: If you are getting “Error 0x80010002 opening ux0:app/MODORU000/PSP2UPDAT.PUP” it means your Vita is too new and can’t use that firmware. Download the next highest firmware and repeat step 4.
- Modoru should then close out and a green System Update screen will appear.
- Wait for the update to finish and go to settings and system information to see your new firmware.
*If you downgraded from Trinity, there is a good chance that the Trinity icon will disappear. That is normal and nothing to be worry about since Trinity is only for firmwares 3.69-3.70.