This guide shows you how to install PKGj, update the database, and download the PKGj file. Since PKGj uses the Vita's WiFi, the download speed will be slow. Please refer to the "Already Installed" section for the prerequisites needed before you can use PKGj. For faster downloads, use NoPayStation. My guide for NoPayStation can be found here.
Step 1: Download PKGj and Config file.
- On your computer, download the pkgi, rePatch, and config files.
- Create a new folder called "pkgi" (make sure it is PKGI and not PKGJ) and put the pkgi and config files inside that file.
- Create another folder called "repatch" and put the rePatch.skprx in there.
- If you need to edit the confiq.txt file, it is best to do it now. Open the text file to make any changes.
- 1 Red: This is telling PKGj where to get the specified files.
- 2 Green. This is telling PKGj where to get the comppack that allows for those on lower firmware to play higher firmware games.
- 3 Blue: Change the ux0: to uma0: if you want the PSP and PSX files to be stored on uma0 (this is only applicable for those who used storagmgr). If changed, PSP and PSX files will be stored on the PS Vita memory card instead of the MicroSD card.
Step 2: Launch Vitashell and Connect via USB.
- Back on your Vita, launch Vitashell, press Start and change "SELECT button" to USB.
- Press O to cancel main settings and then press select to connect your Vita to your PC.
Note: If you are using SD2Vita, change the USB device to SD2Vita.
Step 3: Move the PKGI Folder to the Vita.
- Go to the folder where you stored your pkgi and repatch folders and move them into the USB drive that just popped up when you connected through the USB.
Note: This step can also be done through FTP servers.
Step 4: Use VitaShell to Install PKGj.
- Press O to cancel the USB connection and go to ux0:pkgI folder and Press X on the pkgJ.vpk file and X to confirm the install.
Note: You can delete the PKGj.vpk file after the installation if you need space.
Step 5: Move Repatch.skprx
- Go to the repatch folder and select repatch.skprx and press Triangle and then Copy.
- Press circle until you see ur0 (Some of you who are only using an official Sony Memory Card might have your tai folder in ux0) and go to the tai folder.
- Press X on tai and then triangle on “..” and then Paste to copy and paste the repatch.skprx plugin into your tai folder.
Step 6: Edit Config.txt to Launch rePatch.
- Press X on config.txt and then press Triangle to select Insert empty line and then type ur0:tai/repatch.skprx.
- Press O to go back out to the config.txt and O again to get a save prompt and X to save the changes to the config.txt.
- Press start and then go to REBOOT to reset the Vita so the changes can take place (the ur0:tai/repatch.skprx should be under *KERNEL but if you have other plugins like I do then put it as the last one like the pic below).
Step 7: Launch PKGj.
- Go to the home page and turn on your WiFi, this will allow PKGj to load the links provided in the config text file.
- Then click on the PKGj bubble and launch it.
Step 8: Refresh PKGj database.
- Launch PKGj press Triangle and go down to Refresh and press X to show the list.
- If you want to look for more downloads, press triangle and scroll down to the option you want and press X.
- If no items appear, press triangle to bring up the menu and click X on Refresh.
- Make sure the config.txt file is in the PGKi folder because the txt file provides the most up to date database.
Step 9: Launch the Icon.
- Once the download is done, go back out to the home screen on your Vita.
- Scroll all the way down and you should see a bouncing bubble of your file.
Bonus: Install Update
Note: Since the update does show up on your notification, for paranoid users in fear of PSN ban (so far no reported case of a PSN ban from a hacked Vita and very unlikely) create a new PSN.
Compatibility Packs are now completely optional. If you have the ReFood plugin installed (guide here), then you can skip step 10.
Step 10: Download Compatibility Packs.
- Certain downloads require a compatibility pack if your firmware is too low.
- Press X on your title and PKGj will tell you if you will need a compatibility pack.
- Install the title and then install the compatibility pack (the packs will show up in your Repatch folder).
- Wait for the Diagnostic to turn "All Green" to indicate that everything installed correctly.
Step 11: Install DLC.
- To Install DLCs, press triangle to bring up menu and scroll down to Show DLCs
- Press X (if no item shows, press triangle and then Refresh). Find the compatible DLC, a blue dot will show which DLCs are available for your collection.
- Press X on the compatible DLC and wait for the install, the blue dot will turn white letting you know that it was installed.
Note: If there are no blue dots, make sure you have the correct version (EX: US vs Europe).